Well, I have noticed in the past few weeks that it has gotten worse. I have begun opening the pantry door looking for ice cream, and early last week, I caught myself putting the coffee grinder away in the freezer. Just a couple of nights ago while having a few dinner guests over, I turned on the oven to warm our dessert course, then sat down and immediately forgot my intention. Only 30 minutes later did my friend alert me that my oven was on. Geez. At the same dinner, this subject of absentmindedness came up and another friend reassured me that it was due to my shrinking brain, which would definitely explain things. Lots of physiological (in addition to mental, emotional, anatomical) changes are occurring in my body due to the incubation of this creature, which is also requiring lots and lots of energy - especially (and apparently), my precious brainpower.
Friday, August 7, 2009
I wasn't thinking - my brain is SHRINKING!
Absentmindedness is a total effect of pregnancy (one of several). I am usually not a forgetful person, but I noticed an increase in my waning memory by the time I was well into my first trimester. I would forget to return phone calls, walk into a room to get something and forget what I was looking for, forget tasks that I meant to complete. OOPS! I normally rely on post-its and little notes to help me navigate through my day, but even those were failing me. I began forgetting to even write down my reminders on my post-its. Uh oh.
Well, I have noticed in the past few weeks that it has gotten worse. I have begun opening the pantry door looking for ice cream, and early last week, I caught myself putting the coffee grinder away in the freezer. Just a couple of nights ago while having a few dinner guests over, I turned on the oven to warm our dessert course, then sat down and immediately forgot my intention. Only 30 minutes later did my friend alert me that my oven was on. Geez. At the same dinner, this subject of absentmindedness came up and another friend reassured me that it was due to my shrinking brain, which would definitely explain things. Lots of physiological (in addition to mental, emotional, anatomical) changes are occurring in my body due to the incubation of this creature, which is also requiring lots and lots of energy - especially (and apparently), my precious brainpower.
This morning, I noticed only when I got out of the car at my office, that my shrinking brain had struck again: I had put on two different shoes when I left the house this morning. I immediately laughed at myself and shook my head. At least I noticed (it didn't take someone else to point it out to me), and thankfully it was a left shoe AND a right shoe. TGIF!
Well, I have noticed in the past few weeks that it has gotten worse. I have begun opening the pantry door looking for ice cream, and early last week, I caught myself putting the coffee grinder away in the freezer. Just a couple of nights ago while having a few dinner guests over, I turned on the oven to warm our dessert course, then sat down and immediately forgot my intention. Only 30 minutes later did my friend alert me that my oven was on. Geez. At the same dinner, this subject of absentmindedness came up and another friend reassured me that it was due to my shrinking brain, which would definitely explain things. Lots of physiological (in addition to mental, emotional, anatomical) changes are occurring in my body due to the incubation of this creature, which is also requiring lots and lots of energy - especially (and apparently), my precious brainpower.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

i don't know if i want to believe my brain will SHRINK if/when i get preggers. i just think you have a lot on your mind, so it's inevitable some things would get scattered. either way, it's just another one of your very endearing, loveable qualities and i hope you don't feel badly about it for one second. you're still sharp as a tack. XO
ReplyDeleteAt least they were both white, that is a plus!
ReplyDelete